Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Quick quiz

What do all these items have in common?

  • Vegan brownie
  • Breakfast cookie
  • Apple Bran muffin
  • Vanilla bean scone
  • Apricot scone
  • English muffin with spinach and egg

If you guesssed "Starbucks items that Susan loved but were sadly discontinued at least in Toronto at the stores she frequents" then you are correct! I give up. There is no Starbucks food item I particularly enjoy now.

I've tried the substitutions. The english muffin became the feta/spinach wrap and it's not bad. The apple bran muffin has become the pomgranate bran muffin. I tried that this morning and am now completely crabby as it was a thoroughly unpleasant food experience. It was somehow greasy but with none of the delight of a doughnut or some other such food that I expect grease from. The biggest travesty though has to be the replacement of the beloved and delectable vegan brownie with some vile low-fat chocolate cake. How on earth can chocolate cake be less moist and delicious than a vegan dessert? Yet somehow it is.

Like I wrote: I've given up. I just get food items elsewhere now. At least I shouldn't have to worry about espresso disappearing from the Starbucks menu anytime soon.

*A further note on VIA: Holy crap is it caffeinated! I had to switch back to espresso, which apparently has about half the caffeine, as odd as that seems to most people

6 comments:

Susan as Herself said...

I like that spinach & egg thing too---some of the Starbucks locations here have them, but not all.

Years ago when I worked there, my favorite was the raisin rye roll. Soooooooooo good. But they stopped selling them after about a year.

Stewie said...

They have gingerbread cake here during the winter season. It's amazingly good.

It might be worth to check it out as a substitute.

I don't think it's vegan, though. I tend not to knowingly eat shit that's good for me.

eroswings said...

That sucks when they stop selling stuff you like. But don't they have poutine vendors on the streets?

I usually end up making a snack or sandwich to take to work.

I'm not a coffee person, so I don't go to any Starbucks. But I do luv donuts so I'm familiar with Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts!

I have purchased cappuccinos from the gas station for long drives, and those cups of sweet hot coffee are delicious and go perfect with the greasy, crispy taquitos (breakfast tacos) the service station sells.

Rox said...

I didn't even know you could get food at Starbucks, that is how little I've been there. I stick with Tim's, and locally, even when they take stuff off the menu, you can still get it.

I feel your pain though. I've felt this way about many an item, my favourite slouch socks, a great lipstick or a discontinued favorite bra. All bring about the same level of discomfort for me!

Perplexio said...

You'll always have Tim's!

Snooze said...

Susan: You still have the english muffin spinach thing? We have the wrap spinach thing here, but it's not the same. If you still have the muffin, I'm driving to Chicago.

Stewie: They have the gingerbread thing here. Maybe I'll have to try that one day. The vegan brownies were awesome. I wouldn't have thought so either but they were great.

Eros: Sadly the best poutine is in Quebec, not Toronto. We do have hot dog vendors though who serve veggie dogs. I love it. I want to have taquitos now! That sounds so yummy. as for doUGHnuts (must use the less used Canadian spelling...), I used to like Tim Horton's but now that they are baked elsewhere and shipped in they are disgusting.

Rox: I feel your pain with the lipstick. I'm still crying over the discontinuation of Chanel's Dragon.

Perplexio: Ugh. For the odd toasted bagel yes, but otherwise, I consider it a unique Canadian plague