Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Me me meme

Hotdudi tagged me to do the wikipedia birthday meme.

Here are the rules:
You go to Wikipedia, type in your birthday (month and day) & you list 3 events, 2 births, 1 holiday, and tag 5 friends.

Event #1: 1879 - The Tay Bridge Disaster: The central part of the Tay Rail Bridge in Dundee, Scotland collapses as a train passed over it, killing 75. - My grandparents lived near this bridge.

Event #2: 1912 - The first municipally owned streetcars take to the streets in San Francisco - I love me some streetcars

Event #3: 1981 - Pat Sajak starts hosting the daytime version of Wheel of Fortune - Well, I was addicted to that show back in the day

Shared birthday #1: 1763 - John Molson, English-born Canadian brewer (d. 1836) - I must drink more.

Shared birthday #2: 1842 - Calixa Lavallée, French-Canadian composer (O Canada) (d. 1891) - Thanks dude. I sang that song every day in grade school and stood for some horrific tinny muzak version of it every day in high school.

The Holiday: Yeah, none interested me, so I bring you instead what will now become my own personal tribute each year - I found out that Jerry Orbach, aka Lenny on Law & Order, died in 2004 on my birthday. I adored his character and it is because of Detective Briscoe that I was able to reunite the sculptors of my statue The Myth of Sisyphus with their lost dog. So from now on, I will have a drink for Jerry on my b-day. It will of course be a Molson's product.

9 comments:

Snooze said...

I can't think who to tag. anyone who wants can do this and let me know in my comments if you played. I'd like IDV to do this, but only 'cause I want to know how he will narrow it down to one birthdate.

Stewie said...

Ha! Love your death day holiday.

Pat lives right up the street from me (by the up the street, I mean in the rich part of town that I don't live in).

I've seen him in the grocery store a couple of times.

You should see what he looks like on a Sunday morning after a bender. Not. Pretty.

tornwordo said...

Interesting! Maybe I'll play too. (lol stewie)

Nicki said...

I waited on Pat Sajak's wife before when I worked PT at the grocery store. And I overcharged her. And she pointed it out. She, is quite beautiful and gracious. I hear Pat's not RUDE, but he ain't exactly friendly, either. And I hear Stewie's right about the appearance. Grub. bie.

Tickersoid said...

I haven't figured out how to get all this info off Wikipeadia

St. Dickeybird said...

Molson AND Briscoe???

I admire you even more now!
:D

dantallion said...

Didn't Jerry Orbach play Jennifer Grey's character's dad in Dirty Dancing? That means he's the bastard that put Baby in a corner!

In that case pass me an Ex. I'll toast him too.

St. Dickeybird said...

Dan, that's him!

Snooze said...

Stewie: Wild that you live near Pat Sajak. And I love your clarification of what living up the street from you means.

Torn: Yes, join in after your country sojourn.

FM: I never see any celebs. Well, I did sell a painting to William Shatner, but that was it. I'm glad to read she was gracious.

Tickers: Seriously? Type the month and day into the search box.

StD: It can be a new national holiday.

Dantallion: Oh dear. I like to pretend he was never part of that train wreck movie. I will definitely pass you an Ex. Do they even sell Canadian in Montreal?

StD: No! No it's not. He was Lenny. And that's it.