Sunday, September 21, 2008

HUGE rant

I am a private person. Oddly enough, I used to pose for photos all the time. I have albums of me grinning with friends from highschool and somewhere, in some friend's closet, lost in a shoe box, are photos of me sitting in my underwear on the hood of a car pretending to be a hood ornament. But now I won't let anyone take my photo, the reason being that I do NOT want to end up in a mass sent email or worse - on someone's fucking Facebook page. Instead of being limited to being seen by someone who was over at your house (presumably some sort of friend!) images can now be viewed by anyone. And what's worse is that I find that friends don't even ask your permission. I'll be on my profile on FB and see the notification "You have been tagged in a photo".

Can people at least ask permission first? It may seem weird, but not all of us are excited about our image being all over the place. I don't want people from my high school seeing me. Yes, it is mainly because I don't want them seeing how fat and unfashionable I became, but so what? I am so upset about this. Almost no pictures of me in my 30s exist, which is completely coinciding with scanners and digital cameras. I relented on the Vegas trip so that each person could have a group shot of us for their memories. We exchanged photos via email among the group that were there. That's my limit. This is the third time I've gone through this with the same friend. She's one of my closest friends so it's not like my friendship with her is at stake, but holy fuck, how many times do I have to ask to stop sending group shots out to people I don't know????

I'm going back to my policy of no photos of me ever.

6 comments:

Rox said...

Okay, I'm going to give you a reason to allow the pictures of you. This reason might seem totally ridiculous, but it's the reason I use for pictures of MY self to be taken.

Obituary notices.

To me, there is nothing worse that reading an obituary in the paper and you look at the picture and it's clearly of someone in their 20s or something but the obit says that they lived to be 91. It always makes me wonder why they wouldn't put a more current picture up. Is it because no one ever took their picture or because they didn't want their picture taken?

As someone who lived through the 80s, there is more than a hundred bad pictures of me in this world. I want to put them all on Facebook so people can see that I DON'T still have the big glasses and bushy hair! LOL!

Anonymous said...

You know, I didn't have any problem with pictures until the mini-stalker last year. I live in a town which is pretty small; being a school teacher here for the last 13 years means at least 2000 people (former students) would recognize a picture of me.

I don't post photos any more on my blog of myself or others, although there are photos of me floating about.

It's hard to find a balance; I am who I am, but I don't want to end up on some site as a "Don't" or with some horrible caption.

You do have the right to expect others to ask permission before posting your photo... it would bug the crap out of me if I'd asked a friend not to and she did it multiple times.

Nicki said...

I would be at my wit's end after the third time with the friend. I have a friend like that, and have started getting stern with her after repeated offenses (for different things), only to have to hear how I shouldn't be 'biting her head off'. I guess we're not worthy of basic respect.

tornwordo said...

Then again, before you know it we'll all be dead and none of this will matter. Just sayin'

I admit I was a little weirded out that someone was using a pic "stolen" from my blog in order to troll for tricks on Craigslist. I like Rox's logic too.

Brice said...

If I do that, REMIND ME!!!

Anonymous said...

I can definitely see why that bothers you (it doesn't matter to me, but I can see why it would bother others) and I can agree with most of your post, except:

Yes, it is mainly because I don't want them seeing how fat and unfashionable I became...

Kiss my ass, Snooze. lol.

From the few pics I've seen, you are most definitely not fat. I'm not shining you on that, either. If I thought you were, I wouldn't post anything, but, shit, you are just fine.