Sunday, January 30, 2011

One month and counting

I have been low-level sick for a month now. It's very draining spiritually but whatever - people live with worse. I'm just frightened that I'm going to develop pre-eclampsia which can be life-threatening for mother and child. If that happens the only solution is inducing delivery which I'm too early for right now. Ah well, I have an appointment next week with my OB so I'll see what's up then.


Meanwhile, our new mayor is an embarrassment. His whole platform was 'stop the gravy train' and wanting to stop the 'war on the car' (because, you know, a true world class city like NYC which builds bike lanes or Montreal and London which have the Bixi program in place don't know what they're doing...). That's an okay platform for a local councillor, but it's hardly an inspirational vision for a mayor.

TM and I are doing okay as far as our finances go. Sure, we could be doing better and we need to pay off some debts which we foolishly each allowed to grow in single life, but we are pretty much the taxpayers that Mayor Ford wants to protect. Yet we don't feel hard done by. I'm happy to support low-income projects. Also, what war on the car? TM and I own two cars (and 12 bikes...) but we are all for more bike lanes, better public transit, and pedestrian areas.

He was voted in by the 'burbs. The original Toronto before a bunch of amalgamations resulting in the Greater Toronto Area voted solidly for a more left-leaning candidate. I see this as being the issue from now on. The 'burbs will get more voters and will generally get in their candidate of choice, and the city dwellers will be stuck with a city built for commuters. I mean, the 'burbanites should get the candidate they want, but it just seems to me that amalgamation is not always the best thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just had to google pre-eclampsia because I couldn't remember what it was. Now I'm freaked out. I'm so damn glad I didn't have the internet when I was pregnant, I'd have driven myself insane.

tornwordo said...

Here, they merged the burbs and then everyone got in a huff so they demerged. I feel shame that we have two cars in Montreal. Still, we lived our first six years here with zero cars and both of the cars we have were given to us, so we're just recycling if you will.

EarthMother said...

I haven't been on your blog in ages and now I come here and read this!! Are you psychic?