Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My elected official is not representing me

We're in the midst of a recession and the federal representative from my riding is off in California checking in on one of the 'war resisters' who was deported from Canada and is now serving time in prison. Why? Does she really not think that maybe, just *maybe*, her constituents need help at this time? And let's be clear - the person was not sent back to the front lines, was not sent to Guantanamo, is not being tortured, but is instead serving time. For leaving the military. Sounds fair to me! In fact I have a friend, and I admire this greatly, who instead of spending two years in the mandatory military service in his country, chose to spend two years in jail as a pacifist. I admire that. This person VOLUNTEERED for the army and now MY POLITICIAN [sorry, I have to express this in all caps...] has to go and check up on them?

I'm just so disgusted. It's especially sad because Olivia used to be a very strong woman in her own right. She worked hard in local politics, but now that her hubby is the leader of a national party, she looks like nothing more than a puppet. I hope she actually does something for her own riding soon. There's a lot of lower income people in this neighbourhood. I'm glad she thinks that grandstanding by going off to - well, I'm not sure what she's doing besides enjoying California sun - is worth more than actually helping us while Parliament isn't in session.

3 comments:

eroswings said...

She could've at least rode a bike all the way there--save taxpayer money and maybe raise some funds for charity!

But maybe she is truly concerned about this person's welfare. California prisons may not be Guantanamo--they're usually worse!

Maybe she really wanted to go to Disneyland and the prison visit is just an excuse. I mean, who doesn't want to go to the happiest place on earth?

Brice said...

I couldn't agree more.
Don't forget, she's visiting an AMERICAN. He can't even vote for her if he wants to!

She does seem like a waste of space these days. Is she a stopgap as the lesser of the evils?

Rox said...

Politicians are assholes. It's a prerequisite.